Lewisham Virtual School work in partnership with the placement school, social workers, governors and Lewisham’s school admissions team to ensure that Lewisham looked after children are prioritised in the finalising of school placements in schools that are rated as ‘Good’ or ‘Outstanding’ by OFSTED.
In the event where a child will need to change an educational placement the Virtual School will work with all relevant professionals to ensure that a new school place is finalised and there is a smooth transition into the new placement.
- Has the Virtual School phase leader been informed?
- Is the school judged by OFSTED to be good or outstanding?
- Given the young person’s location is the school most suitable based on their needs?
- Does the young person’s have SEN needs?
- If young person has a statement, have the SEN department been informed?
- If young person has a statement, is the School’s local offer able to meet the young person’s needs?
- Is the young person able to maximise their progress if they attend this school?
- Has an informal visit been made?
- Does the young person want to attend this school?
- Any other reasons for preferences? (Special provision, mentors, SW’s?)
Securing education procedures
When arranging a school placement the child’s social worker needs to inform the Virtual School Key Stage leader.